What are the UMS working hours?
Normal office hours are Monday – Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. UMS is closed when OSU is closed.
Additional information: The truck transporting mail to the downtown post office leaves at 4:50 pm each day. Mail/USPS packages received after this time will go out the next business day. UPS, FedEx Ground, and FedEx Express outbound will arrive for pickups between 5:00 pm and 6:00 pm. Packages received after the carrier has picked up for the day, will ship out the next business day. All outbound shipments leave UMS between 4:50 pm and 6:00 pm.
What are the hours that UMS will accept outbound packages and mail?
If UMS needs to create a shipping label, the package needs to be at UMS no later than 4:30 pm to be shipped that day. Dangerous Goods packages need to be at UMS no later than 3:30 pm to ship the same day.
Is UMS open when the University is closed?
No. UMS is only open when the University is open, including fall and spring breaks.
Can I pick-up my package when UMS is closed?
When UMS is closed, packages are unable to be picked up.
Can I use UMS to send personal mail and packages?
Yes. UMS maintains contracts with carriers that provide shipping rates much lower than what is available at carrier shipping stores. This pricing is available to everyone.
Is UMS Services limited to OSU faculty, staff, and students or is it open to the public also?
UMS has been designated a Certified Postal Unit by the US Post Office. Therefore, services provided at UMS are available for everyone. Keep in mind however, that UMS is closed when OSU is closed.
Can I drop off pre-labeled packages and mail?
Yes. Packages with preprinted labels such as returns and personal mail will be accepted.
Can mail/packages be sent internationally? What process should be followed?
U.S. Postal Service requires an online customs form be completed, printed, and attached to the package. FedEx will need the UMS triplicate form completed along with a detailed list and value of everything in the package. UMS does not have a contract with UPS to send internationally.
What are Customs Duty Fees?
Customs Duty is a tariff or tax imposed on goods when transported across international borders. Customs Duty Fees vary based on what is being sent and to what country it is being sent to. As there are over 190 countries that we ship to, UMS CANNOT generate an estimate on how much Customs Duty fees will be because they are calculated different for each country by that country. The SENDER is responsible for paying Customs Duty Fees. University Mailing Services is NOT responsible for Customs Duty Fees.
Can firearms/prescriptions/live animals/plants be mailed outbound/received inbound?
- The U.S. Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. All firearms are to be packaged in accordance with UPS Packaging Guideline Specifications. Ammunition must be shipped separately from packages that contain firearms (including handguns). The labeling and outer box markings on all firearm shipments should not identify the contents as containing a firearm. Please do not have firearms or other products that could be used as a weapon (swords, machetes, etc…) shipped to Oklahoma State University.
- Prescriptions can be mailed, but there are restrictions on mailing prescriptions to other countries. Prescriptions may be received inbound.
- Live animals are received inbound to support research functions of the University.
- Plants can be received inbound and can be shipped out bound
Are packaging materials available for use?
Some packing material (bubble wrap) may be available as we recycle, but UMS does not purchase it so supply will vary. UMS does have packing tape, limited reusable boxes and USPS, FedEx, and UPS boxes all available free of charge. Several sizes of envelopes are also available at cost; as well as stamps that can be purchased one at a time, as a book, or by the roll.
Is there a size limit on packages being shipped? What's the process for packages being shipped over the size limit?
USPS has a weight limit of 70 pounds. USPS also applies additional charges for packages that weigh less than 70 pounds but exceed specific dimensions. FedEx and UPS have a weight limit of 150 pounds. Items larger than 150 pounds must be shipped using freight. For freight, departments are responsible for packaging (palletizing) the items for shipping and creating a purchase order to pay for the shipping charge. A Facilities Management Customer Request is needed for the moves and events department to pick-up the freight and deliver it to central receiving for shipment.
Is central receiving the same as UMS?
While UMS and central receiving are both under the Facilities Management Business Operations organization, the two teams operate separately.
- UMS handles any packages shipped to OSU that are less than 150 pounds and strive to deliver everything the same day as received.
- Central receiving handles anything on a pallet or what weighs more than 150 pounds. Central receiving arranges deliveries by FM Moves and Events team.
What is the frequency in which packages come in/go out of the UMS facility?
- UMS receives inbound packages/mail starting at 8:00 am with the last truck arriving around 11:30 am.
- Package deliveries start around 10:30 am with the majority delivered in the afternoon.
- Mail delivery starts at 8:00 am and completes around 4:30 pm every day.
- Package pickups can occur any time after packages are delivered. A few departments opt for regularly scheduled pickups between 4:00 pm and 5:00 pm.
- For outbound USPS mail/packages, the truck leaves for the post office by 5:00 pm
- For outbound UPS, FedEx, and FedEx ground, the trucks arrive for outbound packages between 5:00 pm and 6:00 pm.
Can I pay cash for shipping UPS or FedEx?
Because UMS is not a UPS/FedEx store, all pricing available is actually a quote. The exact amount is not available for UPS/FedEx. We require payments to be in the form of a credit card, charged to your department fund, or charged to your Bursar account. When UMS receives the final bill for the shipment, an adjustment will be made (up or down) and your credit card/fund/bursar will be charged the final rate at the end of the month.
Does UMS process money orders?
Yes, UMS can process money orders. The fee for money orders depends on the amount of the money order. Fee for money orders up to $500 is $1.30. Fee for money orders from $500 to $1000 is $1.85. UMS does not process money orders above $1000 and all money orders much be purchased with cash only. Credit cards are not accepted.
Does UMS have PO boxes available for rent?
Yes. PO boxes are available to rent from UMS annually or by the semester. The rental fee is $35.00 per semester or $70.00 annually. If interested, please contact UMS as UMS@okstate.edu or 405-744-5385.
What is considered Dangerous Goods?
Dangerous Goods are identified as articles and substances with hazardous properties. Dangerous Goods shipping consultation is available by one of the knowledgeable UMS staff that are certified on this topic.
Can a bursar account be utilized to pay for services?
Yes. You can charge postage and shipping fees to your Bursar, Credit Card, money order, or cash. Cash cannot be used for shipping fees (see Can I pay cash for shipping UPS or FedEx).